Saturday, 10 April 2010

The Age of Absurdity

Last night I repeated my walk of a few weeks ago, with the added frisson of starting in the evening and completing the walk in the dark. It took around three and a half hours.

The weather was much less windy and it was quite a warm evening. The V5Fs were fantastic and I had none of the episodic, minor aches (tight right hip and knee) of the previous walk (which lasted for about the final kilometer). There was no problem with cold extermities either ths time. This was again done in a fasted state (24 hours). curiously I barely drank 250ml of water - I simply was not thirsty. I hope to repeat the route in a full-on night-nav stylee in the near future.

This morning my legs felt mildly tired so, after some light gardening, I headed on to my fingerboard for some climbing-focused work. Nothing too extensive.

Thjs afternoon has developed in to a beautiful and warm day with almost cloudless skies. As I shredded paper in to the compost bin (the contents are too 'wet' evidenced by the foul smell), I noticed a review in the Guardian for a book entitled 'The Age of Absurdity'. I found it engrossing; containing as it does, gems such as this:

  • How did we become absurd? In the 1970s, Foley contends, liberation movements demanded specific rights and expressed anger at injustice. Now, though, those movements have been co-opted, as everything is, by capitalism and have mutated into a general demand for attention and a general feeling of grievance
So much of the review rang true. It gets better:
  • Our culture, he contends, is one of endless complaint and bottomless claims of entitlement.
This is dynamite stuff and this book is now on my reading list (hence this little bit of computer time). I recommend you read both the Guardian and the Amazon review(s) if not the book. At the very least it will help you answer the question of where you were when 'Paleo' died.

1 comment:

Methuselah said...

I am going to buy this for my wife.