Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Volume Wk9 W/O2

Damn this deloading phase! I really want to do more. I need to lift heavy...but must obey the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet says to deload!

As a compromise I have added a few levers and planches in to today's lower body workout in a bid to satisfy my training lust and to grease the groove a bit. No bad thing.

I enjoy this feeling. It feels like my drive to train is being enriched. There can be no risk of burnout with this approach and I know that once I hit the next training phase, I will be stoked.

The next training phase will be strength focused. So I will drop the volume and aim for a %:3:1 style implementation. Can't wait.

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (25 mins)

1. O'Neill Test (L10, 4'x1200m)
2. Pistols (8x32kg, 8x32kg, 8x32kg)
3a. Wall Walk/BackBridge (15s, 15s, 15s)
3b. Splits (20s, 20s, 20s)
4a. Frog Planche (20s, 20s, 20s)
4b. Tuck Lever (20s, 20s, 20s)


Normally I post the workout on here prior to completion. This means I can browse the routine on my phone in the gym. This is much better than keeping a routine in hardcopy.

As you can discern from the text above, I entered the gym itching to work today. I sacked the intended routine (omitting the greyed out exercises above), and did an O'Neill Test (ONT) instead. The stuff I sacked was due to being physically incapable of pretty much anything in the ten minutes following the ONT!

The ONT is a killer and although I don't row that often, that hard or for much of a distance (usually only 500m once every week or so, and often at a light intensity), today's test was a personal best of 1200m. My bodyweight is just over 82kg and I think the improved performance constitutes greater strength in my legs as much as psychological factors (such as 'wanting it big time'). The other main difference between this and previous tests is that I now use a resistance of 10 (for simplicities sake).

But anyway, my personal goal of an ONT classification of 'Good' has been achieved (but only just) - and all as a byproduct of my (non rowing-specific), training. This test was also performed in a fasted state. I also note that I am probably at the lighter end of the heavyweight scale and at the older end of the age range.

Only another 37m to go before I make it to 'Excellent'. This is about another eight strokes or so and as I enter a strength training phase, reckon that anything is possible. I might even make my training rowing specific to achieve this goal (but then where is the fun in that?).

For the record:
ONT Attempt 1 - 20100129 - 1122m
ONT Attempt 2 - 20100205 - 1158m
ONT Attempt3 - 20100423 - 1200m

Happy days. Oh, and so much for deloading......

No comments: