Thursday, 29 April 2010

Edale Skyline Walk
























My typical week of training is as follows (AM actually corresponds to a Lunchtime workout):

Monday - Strength Training Upper (Early PM), LGKF (PM)
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Strength Training Lower (AM), LGKB (PM)
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Strength Training Upper (AM)
Saturday - Climbing
Sunday - Rest

Monday - Strength Training Lower(AM), LGKF (PM)
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Strength Training Upper(AM), LGKB (PM)
Thursday - Rest
Friday - Strength Training Lower/Ramble(AM)
Saturday - Climbing
Sunday - Rest

You can see that in the second week, I interchange Friday's lower body workout for some low intensity distance. I find this a nice complement to the Monday workout which usually features some form of sprinting work (not to mention skipping and kick drills in Lau Gar). Saturday's climbing might actually fall on a Sunday. I tend to flex training session as required and implement rests when so inclined.

On occasion, as with this week, I am in a Week 1 phase, but am going rambling nonetheless. Tomorrow I will tackle the Edale Skyline - which is a good 20 miles with about three thousand feet of ascent. I am still fatigued from Wednesday's ONT (aka The Destroyer), but reckon I should hack it.

The rambling is hitting a chord with me at the moment. It is time to relax. Time to be away from technology - just your thoughts and the company of friends (see photo above). The only other stimulus apart from colleagues, is nature around you.

A final thought is that on Monday and Wednesday I always implement a 24 hour fast. But I do allow coffee and milk - and a small a amount of cheese or an egg just prior to the Lau Gar. But I think I am going to go hardcore on these fasts and drink only water and be nil by mouth for the duration this week forth. I have re-read 'Eat, Stop, Eat' and don't feel I am leveraging the hormonal response a perhaps I might if I were only to show a little more discipline!

5 comments:

Methuselah said...

Nice routine. Mine is a bit random at the moment, which, as we've agreed, is in principle good because life in the wild would have been random - but reading your timetable gives me pangs of desire for the comfort of a routine-based week.

Asclepius said...

Yeah - a family, a job and lots of interestes means that my time is precious! So I have to manage my time.

Having said that, I make sure I inject turbulence and novelty in to my workouts and although I have a broad thrust of what I want to achieve, I am happy to switch out exercises at the last minute.

The 'randomness' of my last ONT is a good example - where I went in to the gym with one plan, but sacked it for another (and I can tell you that I am STILL feeling it)!

My fasting is also going that way. I am currently doing two 24hr fasts a week on Monday and Wednesday. But Friday is also proving to be a candidate for a fast as well - purely as a result of instinct. I simply like to exercise fasted and so sometimes fast on a Friday, and sometimes I don't. (When I do, it mean that I eat BIG at the weekends. Check out 'The Doctor'!)

gneisslyschist said...

Nice to know you have stimulating colleagues!

Asclepius said...

....actually only a few of them offer stimulating companionship! ;)

Methuselah said...

Yes, I saw 'The Doctor'. My kind of breakfast. I was drooling.