Thursday, 1 March 2012

Sleep and Potatoes

A little something from the BBC by a guy called Iain Wilson:
  • "I grew up among the Yali people in Papua, Indonesia. When I was born, my parents lived in a remote area. My mother was a medical worker and my father was an anthropologist. We lived there until I was 16, and as a child I used to camp and go hunting with my friends in the Yali tribe.

    When I stayed with them, we would go to bed more or less after sunset and people would always wake up during the night.

    I would hear them talking and someone would start a fire. Sometimes we would eat some sweet potato before going back to sleep until 05:30 or 06:00. "
My take-home from this is to let children use engage in adventurous pursuits, even with an element of danger (don't be over-protective, trust your child's evolving judgement, don't try to learn on behalf of your child).  The requirement for eight hours of contiguous sleep IS a myth.  Carbs are bad.*



*Joke

No comments: