Friday, 9 March 2012

Chrome Users

I've just noticed that if you browse my site using Google Chrome it embeds links on to certain keywords like 'claims', 'diet' and so forth.  This is really fucking annoying GOOGLE, so please stop doing it.  I do not endorse any such link and please do not think it is me adding these grubby little links in to the text.

IE users - you can relax as no such embedding occurs with IE.  However users of IE shouldn't relax too much given the historical security issues with this browser!

6 comments:

Chris Pine said...

That's odd.

Are you sure it's google doing it? That would be a pretty shady thing to do, and I doubt Google has any need to risk doing that.

It sounds more likely that your site has been hacked and had these links placed in your code somehow.

Asclepius said...

Yeah - definitely the browser doing it. It is somehow skinning up the front end with hotlinks. I've visited some other sites and see the same thing on keywords like 'win'.

When I view the same sites inIE it is fine - no such links.

Asclepius said...

In fact - it seems to happen on your DarwinianFitness site. Again, only with Chrome.

Your site is great by the way. Can;t believe I haven't come across it before. Think I'll be spending some time looking around it this week.

alexleejohnson1000 said...

Is it possible it's some kind of tool bar that's sneakily installed itself onto your version of Chrome? I use Chrome and don't recall seeing your site being 'linked up' like that. I will try to remember to check when I am back at a non-mobile device...

alexleejohnson1000 said...

It's Chrome on your PC, not Chrome at large. Chrome on my PC is not creating these spurious links. Maybe remove Chrome and reinstall....

Asclepius said...

Chris/Alex - yep looks like some local malware hijacking the browser. Cheers for the advice.

Time to stop the little ones having free reign over what they install on the family PC!