Friday, 25 March 2011

RTK Wk7 W/O3

Because of my 'day three' rest protocol, this is actually my last DL and OAC workout in this training cycle!  Next week is the final week of my RTK approach - but not sure I can discern much of a difference in my physique.  My numbers are still going up.  The Six Nations beer frenzy cannot help - and the fact that sometimes my eating (in terms of timing, quantity and quality), has not been as fixed as the CKD protocols require.  I might need to give it another go to do it justice, but TBH it is such a bore to have to eat to a program.  It might work for some, but I don't think I am that person.

Consolidation will be the word today for the DL.  The OACs will get pushed a little higher....

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (35 mins)
1a.Deadlift (4X137kg , 5X123kg)
1b. One Arm Chin Ups (3/4x62, 5x55, 6x50)
2. Wall Walk/Back Bridge to In-L-Sit (2r, 15s, 15s)
3. HSPUs/Lowers/Dumbell Press (3lwrs/1+, 6x16kg, 6x14kg)
4. Ice Cream Makers (6, 5, 4)
5.Four-Way Rotator Cuff (10)


I crushed the deadlift.  Despite approaching the gym in ambivalent mood, the DLs felt good.  I could have added a rep to the second set.  I was one short on the first set of OACs.  The rest were ok although the HSPU wouldn't fire, so I did some 'lowers'.  Rests between sets were 5mins for DLs and 3mins for OACs.  Everything else was done with less than 1 min rest.

The RTK experiment has taught me that regimentation is not my thing.  The more I learn about training the less I know.  I have tried so many programs - most with results the same as I am experiencing now, but perhaps not with such ease as I find my current training intensity and volume.  But bottom line is that with numbers going up, injuries few and far between and less time in the gym than ever before, does it matter that on reflection, I think I know little about training?  Our pre agricultural ancestors were bigger, stronger and faster than most of us.  If you could ask them what they know about training, I think you'd get a similar answer.

And this then brings us to the CKD approach.  I need to give it another go but getting lean for me seems to me to be largely a hormonal thing.  Putting car analogies aside, think of a TV.  Pressing the remote controller (input), gives you a sense of power over what you watch (the output), just as controlling eating (input) gives you a sense of power over the shape of your physique (the output).  But changing that channel actually dials up a totally different set of actors and performers (think hormones).  You are not making the actors on one channel behave differently when you change channel.  It all goes on seamlessly under the hood. 

I prefer my relaxed approach to food.

No comments: