Monday, 21 March 2011

LC and Orthorexia

I have sometimes questioned my interest in diet.  Reading back what I have written with regard to intermittent fasting for example, I have wondered if I have a 'disorder' and not really known about it.  I mean - not eating for 24hrs rubs so strongly against societal norms!

But I don't do calorie restriction.  I do one or two 24 hr fasts a week.  I don't avoid carbohydrates (although I do eat them 'episodically'), and I focus on REAL foods in as fresh a state as possible.  I try to emphasise seasonal food (roots in colder weather and fruits in summer)  I eat until full.  That doesn't seem too unreasonable does it?  If anything, to me, the chronic calorie restriction of conventional diets appears to scream 'eating disorder'. 

The guy in this story seems to be at an extreme end of things, taking the LC paradigm to a disturbing conclusion,
  • Sam Monkhouse, who's 21 and from Portsmouth, says he's very conscious about the types of foods he eats.  "I follow a high protein diet and don't eat carbs.Sam shows how he exercises during work breaks "Ninety per cent of the time, I only eat cottage cheese, natural yoghurt, eggs and chicken."I eat these foods because I want to have a good body." Sam also has a regimented fitness regime."I work-out twice a day, seven times a week. I work in a factory and at lunchtimes I do weights, sit-ups, and press-ups in one of the equipment rooms."When I get home I then go for a 45 minute run and do more toning and high-impact exercises. "All in all, I probably spend more than two hours a day working out."If I eat a burger, which probably happens once in a blue moon, I have to burn it off straight away because I know it will turn into fat and I don't want fat on my body."
 The stress from all that exercise is a concern, never mind the LC obsession.  In contrast, 'true paleo' most certainly means neither food nor exercise should dominate your life.

1 comment:

Methuselah said...

I think orthorexia is the only possible response to a world of corrupted societal norms on food and the abundance of food that confuses our physiology. People who talk about orthorexia in disparaging terms seem to be labouring under the impression that it's possible to live for a long time and healthily in this world without obsessing about doing the right thing. It's not. Our circumstances used to allow us the luxury of not thinking about this. Those circumstances have gone. The best we can hope for (which I think you have achieved) is to have such a clear understanding of what we need to do to be in tune with our genes that we can do the right thing instinctively without it being a source of stress.