Sunday, 1 February 2009

Sunday Climbing Quickie

The weather was bitterly cold today. There was a mild dusting of snow and as Friday's workout was rather heavy, I just made tonight a quick session with an emphasis on climbing strength. I work out in my garage and it was sub zero in there!

The fingers can be particularly hard to warm up at the best of times. Add to that the fact that I wanted to work the fingers at a very high intensity - and this could have been a recipe for disaster.

However, I commonly put a bit of sprinting in to my warm up - shuttles or similar, along with my standard warm up, this really does get blood flowing to every extremity. A pair of gloves assisted warming of the fingers and allowed my to hit the fingerboard hard.

Warm Up (5 mins)

Main (15 mins)

1a) 60m Hill Sprints (emphasis on 'gazelle' stride)

1b) Basic Ring Routine

1c) Laddering (three grip - Closed, Open and Crimp)

Repeat for a total of four times!

2) Kill Carry (short circuit, unweighted)

I felt tired - not so much in the sprints (which were of a lower intensity than normal), but the ring routine and the laddering quickly exposed residual fatigue in my upper body. I will take it easy for a few days.

The kill carry was actually very enjoyable. The street was deserted, the sky was gun-metal grey with snow clouds, the wind bitingly cold and the only sound was the crunch of snow beneath my feet. It is quite calming phase of my workout and felt particularly 'primal' and elemental today.

I have a mild occasional ache in my right knee and also my lower back which seems to have come from the Kill Carry last week. Something for me to watch out for!

It is easy not to listen to your body, and to 'push through'. But your body is in it for the both of you! There are times to carry on in this state, but for me, now is not one of them.

No comments: