Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Gymnastic Workout

The country ground to a halt over the past day or two. A bit of snow seemed to have crippled most of our infrastructure. Luckily, this break coincided with my intention of taking it easy for a few days to let one or two war wounds heal.

Yesterday I got the chance to work from home because of the snow - and also to snowboard down my street. I reckon my street is a 'blue' but the problem of traffic might have pushed it up to a 'red'.

Today I eased back in to my training. I headed to the gym in a short sleeve cotton shirt as it was quite warm in the sun and we all need our vitamin D! I went past a shool and the kids were still out for their lunchtime break - quite a few of them were similarly attired in short sleeves. Their intermittent and vigorous 'play' in the sunshine was reaffirming in how we can draw inspiration from those who have not lost touch with their instincts.

Normally I would perform a bit sprinting, but the chopped, icy ground made sprinting too difficult/risky. Thus my focus on basic gymnastics:

Warm Up (5 minutes of the usual joint rotations and swings)
Main (10 mins)
1a) Planche (5s, 5s, 15s, 15s)
1b) Back Bridge (4x15s)
1c) Lever (5s, 5s, 15s, 15s)

I performed planche and lever variations for the allotted time. I need to maintain volume as well as preparation for harder variations. The back bridges are really quite enjoyable at the moment - pleasantly stretching the shoulders as much as working the back.

Tonight I will go to my Lau Gar class. This will be pretty exhausting but will give me an all-over warm up - after which I will head home and then perform the following:

Warm Up (5 minutes of the usual joint rotations and swings)
2a) One Arm Dead Hang (4x15s each arm)

The deadhangs will be at a maximal intensity.

7 comments:

Methuselah - Pay Now Live Later said...

Saw some dude shovelling snow and realised what a great workout that wouldbe if done intensely and with intermittent rests. See how quickly you can clear your drive. A free workout! All I need now is a drive instead of a 3rd floor apartment!

Chris said...

Asclepius

you might be interested in this article I saw today about improving the planch

looks useful

Zuck said...

I have been browsing your blog every now and again as I wander around my fitness blog/websites...was wondering what the planche and lever exercises are. How are they performed?

Thanks, Russell

Asclepius said...

Methuselah - I was going to post something along those lines myself. After shovelling some snow from our path Captain Kid requested an ingloo. That was a serious workout! My legs felt it the next day!

Asclepius said...

Chris - thanks for the link. I could probably do with some GTG training. My planche seems to be going backwards at the moment.

Zuck - here is the article that started the whole planche and lever thing for me:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

Coach Sommer now has his own site which is well worth a visit:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/

Methuselah - Pay Now Live Later said...

Chris - great link - I shall be trying some of that out.

Zuck said...

What a great link...I'm gonna add those to my Crossfit workouts. Good stuff.