Tuesday, 3 July 2012

531 Wk2 W/O2

I did some awesome (for me!), handstands last night.  One in particular hit over 20s.  My approach of doing less reps, increasing my rest and generally focusing on quality seems to be paying dividends.  I need to work on consistency so that all my handstands are of high quality.

I should point out that with the weights I use in Pistols and OACs below, I round up or down to whatever resolves to the weights available for the kit I am using.  With Pistols I can get to the nearest 2.5kg. 

With OACs it is to the nearest 5kg (unless I chose a smaller weight to pick up and hold in my spare hand).  So the numbers below should be considered as guidance only.

One other consideration; last week I was surprised not to add more reps to the last set of OACs.  But I am doing several warm up sets at the moment, which might have an impact.  I am also driving up and lowering with real intent, so each rep in general takes a little more out of me. 

I will be interested to see how today goes give that I kept something back from Sunday's workout.

Warm Up (5 minutes)
Main (35 minutes)
1. Handstand (air squats, front/side lunges, one legged floor touches, front/side/turning kicks)
2. Pistols (3x54, 3x61, 3+x69)
3. OACs (3x50, 3x57, 3+x64)

Forearm and Wrist Prehabilitation
4. Golfers Elbow Drumstick Rotation (12)
5. Wrist Push Ups (12)
6. Reverse Wrist Curl (12)

Great workout.  It is an interesting feeling leaving the gym feeling that you've pretty much recovered (or that you had more to give - although there is no way I could have added to the pistols and chins that I did - especially the chins where the last rep was hard won).

This is what I like about strength training.  Short and intense.  I leave feeling good.  Very good.  If I do a volume phase I can sometimes feel juiced even if I left the gym feeling that it was a good session.  The big picture is probably to do with keeping thing changed up.  Strength and volume both have their place.

No comments: