Friday, 19 October 2012

RPT Wk3 W/O3

I've spent several nights this week with Captain Kid and Flash observing the International Space Station (ISS) transit overhead.  Transit times have been up to 5 minutes in length.  The ISS travels at 17,500mph at an altitude of 120miles above the earth, and makes for quite a spectactular event, particularly where it suddenly turns orange and disappears as it moves in to the Earth's shadow.  (For those in the UK wishing to get regular updates on ISS transit times and other space-related phenomena, I recommend you follow Virtual Astronomer on Twitter.)

Captain Kid and Flash buzz with excitement and awe each time we've spotted it.  They have both headed to school to spread the news on a daily basis (and to inform their class mates and teachers how they too could spot the ISS).  Times like these are really rewarding as a parent and remind me why I chase health (not youth or performance).

My last DL workout was quite rewarding and so again I am going to work technique.

Warm Up (5 minutes)
Main (35 minutes)
1. Handstand Variations (air squats + side lunges, front lunges + floor touches, front/side/turning kicks + low /reverse/spinning kicks)
2. Manna Progression (three rounds for time)
3. Deadlift (6x135/130, 8x110, 10x95/90)
4. Wall Walk (3, 3)
5. Backbridge (15s)

Shoulder Pre-habilitation
6. External Shoulder Rotations (12)
7. External Shoulder Rotations (12)

8. 321 (8L, 8L, 8L)/Bouldering

Weight: 80kg
The handstand work was poor.  The first HS was fine - around 15s, but after that it just didn't happen.  I ended up doing some hand walks.

The DLs were good.  I spend a lot more time warming up and getting technique right.  This seems to pay a dividend in the work sets. I added an extra 5kg to the first and last set but couldn't raise reps at any stage.  I came away feeling nicely torched.

A quick digression; I was quite horrified today to see a young guy in the jacks having to use TWO hands to activate the soap dispenser. He didn't lack 'mass' either - just in the wrong place. He should work out - and I should have told him so.

No comments: