Tuesday, 15 May 2012

Gymnastic Week 3 W/O2

I was the only attendant at Lau Gar last night which meant it was intense at times.  We started with forms which, if done correctly, slows rinse you of energy.  This was followed by pad work.

The pad-work highlighted deficiencies in my front and side kick.  I need to snap them in and out like a jab.  My turning kick of the lead leg should be similarly deployed.  I will embed light kick technique work in the handstand portion of my routine to fill out the rest between sets.

Rests are currently being kept short to less than 60s for all chinning and pistols.

Warm Up (5 minutes)
Main (30 minutes).
1. HSPU/Handstand/Handwalk (Leg work - side/front lunges, air squats, front/side/turning kicks)
2. L-Sit/Manna Variation (for time)
3. Pistols Assisted (75kg x 9, 75kg x 8, 75kg x 8)
4i. OAC (7x55kg, 6/7x55kg)
4ii. Two Arm Chin (BWx10)
5. Backlever to Frontlever (5s, 5s, 5s)

Shoulder Prehab:
6. Two-Way DB Rotator Cuff (12 x external and internal shoulder rotations)


Woo hoo - I got one extra rep on the second set of OACs (6/7 rather than 5/7)!  There was also an extra rep on the pistols.  Arms are generally feeling good with no tweaks - same with the legs (although there is a mild tension on occasion in my left hip - hope this is just a passing issue).

The handstands were a mixed bag of good and not so good holds.  But generally there is improvement here.  I am really enjoying this part of the workout.

I think in the past I have cycled on strength too frequently.  I should do no more than two strength cycles in a row and then mix up to volume.  Short rests still make it hard - brutally intense even, but the change is as good as a rest.

Good session.

No comments: