Monday, 1 March 2010

Volume Wk1 W/O1


The 12-8-4 pyramid phase has come to an end. I cannot really tell much of a difference in my body composition - I am still very happy with it. Did I lose fat? Dunno. I know I did not gain any. W3 was an instinctive rest and W4....well I got sidetracked in to reassessing my 1RM and 8RM.

I am going to move in to a period of focusing on volume for the next eight weeks. I intend to gradually ramp up my numbers.
The plan is five day split ABABAB. There is alternation between focus on upper body and lower body. The three sections above will fall on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This routine constitutes a bit of a throw back to my gym monkey days, but I need to get a handle on my strength gains and work capacity. This is to drive my ever lagging planche work......!

During the BAB week where I undertake two lower body focused sessions, I will throw in some freeform leg work (play oriented) rather than doing a more formal leg training session. This will involve jumping or some such activity (I guess). The weights above for things like MUs require a ballast system. The numbers will not be exact.
The first workout:

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (30 mins)
1a. Sprinting (10s, 10s, 10s)
1b. Planche (5x2s, 5x2s, 5x2s)
2a. Ring Routine to Chins (kg) (8, 8, 8)
2b. Cuts to Splits (3x1 each way)
2c. Fingerboard (5x1, 5x1, 5x1, 5x1, 5x1, )
3. Handstand Straddle (Play@LGKF for time)

A 'light/deloaded' phase.

4 comments:

Methuselah said...

I think I'm going to have a volume binge soon myself. ABABAABA has always been a favourite of mine.

Asclepius said...

Volume has really crept up on my radar because I don't think I can do as much as I used to. Hence the refocus.

I also want to get some control on my strength levels although don't want to fall back to the meticulous control and measurement of my former years.

I have tried ABAB but four times a week is a bit heavy for me given my extra-curricular activities in martial arts and climbing.

I tried my pulley-ballast system of Muscle Ups last night and the way I had the set up, I nearly sawed myself in half with every rep! Gonna stick with my basic ring routine and just drop some high volume pull ups on to the end.

Methuselah said...

You should give the 300 (or my cheat version!) a shot - it's a great way to combine volume with conditioning. Not one for the same day as kickboxing though...

Asclepius said...

Aye - it is on the radar to do it! I am in my usual state of seeking novelty whilst trying not to become wedded to some 'fixed state of drudgery'.

So having spent a lot of last year changing things at every workout, I want to test both my strength and capacity for volume. I think that I might well have lost a bit of both, which should be avoidable....hence my current imposition of metrics.

Still - I am uninjured and psyched.