Thursday, 25 March 2010

Volume Wk4 W/O2

Monday's session had added upper body content - and I am 'feeling it' this week - hence resting last night and working out tonight instead. This, coupled with some severe Horse Riding Stance action in my Lau Gar sessions, means I need to adjust my work load.

Tonight will be of an upper body focus and that will be it for the week. I have a big walk planned on Saturday morning so need to keep some gas in the tank for the hills.

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (40 mins)

1. Sprinting (1x10s, 1x10s, 1x10s, 1x10s, 1x10s)
2. Ring Routine to Chins/RopeClimb (8, 7, 7)
3a. Frog Planche (5x2, 5x2, 5x2)
3b. Cuts to Splits (3x3, 3x3, 3x3)
3c. Fingerboard - Large Rungs (5x1, 5x1, 5x1, 5x1, 5x1)

There was no place for handstands in this routine. It was dusk and starting to drizzle when I began to train. The sprints felt good. I felt light and springy on my toes. The rain made it all very elemental.

The ring however, kicked my ass. Not so much the main ring routine - indeed the (tucked) back levers felt slightly more solid. But the chins at the end felt very tough. On sets two and three I had to cut reps. The planche work also felt tough. The tuck planche success of my recent GTG approach are a distant memory. I couldn't tuck for toffee today. The shoulders are clearly tired. Same story with the fingerboard. There was no chance of getting off the big rungs today.

I feel like I have a mild cold coming on (Man-Flu?). Some movements felt harder than they should, and one or two felt easier. I need to listen to my body and adjust. Four weeks (which means about ten or twelve workouts), to go until deload. Reckon I will keep at it, knowing that a rest/deload phase is imminent. I just need to make sure I don't go overboard and pick up an injury.

I enjoyed tonight's workout - particularly the sprints and the main ring routine itself, but there are signs!

No comments: