Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Volume Wk5 W/O1

So - yesterday lunchtime I was about to head to the gym but developed a stomach ache. I was fasting (I hadn't eaten since the evening before), but this was no hunger. I skipped training and the pain developed in to the afternoon like a tight knot.

It was most acute at 1900hrs and so I retired to bed. I slept soundly for the next three hours awaking at 1000hrs feeling pretty much better.I figured I would stay in bed, continue the fast and see what the morning brought. Sleep was quite good but I kept waking a few hours before dawn as my body felt refreshed. I had slept enough.

This morning I was on a double fast - which saw me down to 82kg. I felt absolutely fine - no hunger pangs or any discomfort. At lunchtime I felt absolutely BRUTAL! I knew I was in really good shape and psyched to hit the gym. All on the back of a comfortable 40 hour fast (this is a record for me I think). The results below pretty much amazed me. They were much more than I was expecting.

I took longer rests as the gym was busy and there were several acquaintances in there who I ended up chatting to. I ended up with around 5mins rest between sets of pistols - punctuated by the ICMLs.

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (50 mins)
1. Rowing (Medium 1x500m 00:01:42)
2a. Pistols (8x52kg/38kg, 8x52kg/38kg, 8x52kg/38kg, 8x52kg/38kg)
2b. Ice Cream Maker Lever to Skin the Cat (8, 8, 8)
3a. Planche Press Ups (8, 8, 8)
3b. Wall Walk/BackBridge (15s, 15s, 15s)
4. One Arm Chins (12x37kg/33kg, 12x37kg/33kg, 10/12x37kg/33kg)

Bolded are improvement figures and are followed by my target figures. I would not be inclined to do many 40 hour fasts but can see them fitting in to a bi-monthly or quarterly pattern (probably the latter as I consider this an outlier event - and TBH, I would have trouble eating 40 hours worth of food in my feeding window). Another use would be to break a plateau. Going in so light, psyched and energised clearly has a payback.

I am also starting to see that despite earlier reservations about micro managing my numbers (sets, reps and weights), and simply going by instinct and perceived exertion, I have got way more gas in the tank.

I figure that Inner-Asclepius (IA), wants to keep some headroom (in fact quite a bit of headroom), if he can. Maybe in case we get jumped by a lion en-route home after a successful hunt (the smell of a fresh kill being carried by some comparatively slow and weak hors-d'oeuvre), must have been very enticing. Focusing on the numbers is allowing me to work harder and really drill down to IA.

Great session. Really happy with it. Totally psyched. :)

No comments: