Thursday, 12 April 2012

Meat Fix

I started this blog as a training blog and a place to air some thoughts.  It progressed in to a vehicle which allows me to try and give people some idea of what kind of path I am following, to accompany me along my paleo journey.

That all sounds a bit wanky, but you get the drift.  It also allows me to rant.  I thought I was good at ranting, but never thought you'd be able to base a book on a rant - not least a paleo-rant!

Behold John Nicholson and The Meat Fix.  Put aside Nicholson's occasionally irritating Yorkshire vernacular and his LC tendencies and this is a great little read.  Full of ranting and invective.  He documents a path that most of us have followed; the fear of fat, the fear of red meat, the adoption of veg*n eating in the belief that it is better for our health and for the planet - only to realise years later that the conventional dietary advice is severely flawed.

Nicholson discovered paleo (by another name), and had a Damascene conversion to meat.  He has since thrived.  Along the way he pulls some good stuff up about the myth of five a day and goes on to explore some of the more cerebral aspects of becoming a reformed veg*n,

  • I also think this dietary shift has reconnected me with the past, with my food heritage and has disengaged me from the insane modern food world full f lurid advertising and weird ideas about what is  and isn't natural.  It's allowed me to relax about food.  As a vegetarian, I see now that I was up tight about it.  Everything was a political statement, everything was another box ticked.  Now, having stripped it all back to basics, it feels liberating and it feels good to be part of a more ancient tradition of meat eating.  I used to want to be divorced from tradition; today it feels right to be connected to it.

    And if I might indulge in a  little bit of cosmic philosophy for a brief moment, I now also feel connected to the wheel of existence, to the circle of life and death from which I was trying to divorce myself as a non-meat eater.  This isn't glory in death but an acceptance of an innate part of being alive.
I am sure this will be the first of many such books.  The 'old' ways are the new 'new'.  It is to this end that Nicholson pulls a rather superb rabbit from the literary hat,

  • When it comes to food, we can't just have what we want when we want it.  Or rather, we can, but we shouldn't think this is either a good thing or indeed something we should judge the quality of our lives by.
Amen to that.

No comments: