Monday, 3 August 2009

Static Dynamics

Back to business this week! I have decided to balance up the climbing workout - which is heavily ring based, with the lunchtime gym work, which is bodyweight/floor based (with the odd bit of iron). I have underestimated how taxing the climbing training can be - the rings are brutal on the shoulders and when I go back to them after a week or so of rest, I notice the difference. More rest is required and clearly beneficial.

I have also decided to try to really push that saw-tooth profile. To this end I am trying to reduce the number of sets and increase the intensity. I also aim to reduce rests between exercises. Such intensity has to be balanced out with a reduction in volume.

Wam Up (5 mins)
Main (20 mins)
1a) Rowing (2mins at level 7, 28SPM)

2a) Chair Sit (60s) to Pillar Jumps (3x10)
2b) Handstand (60s) to Alternate One Arm Medicine Ball Throws (2x10)
2c) Lever (15s) to Reverse Press Up/One Arm Dumbell Rows (2x10)
2d) Planche (15s)
2e) RLLs (Straight Leg - 2x5)
2f) Kneel Backs (60s)

The rowing is a great introduction to the warm up. I like the whole 'stretching out' effect. I prefer sprinting but am keen to mix it up!

I 'cycled' through 2a-2f. Each pass took about 10 mins. The OAMBT was done with a 3kg ball, but as with all the exercises with weights, the explosiveness of the movement is way more important to me than the weight. I thrust that ball high as I could EVERY time. The last set of rows was done with dumbells (rather than bodyweight), and again, I pulled with ALL my might.

The evidence of my effort was obvious. Twenty minutes just about broke me. Looking at some photos from the weekend I can see that I have a good handle on my body fat levels. They are pretty stable around 10%. I am also consistently around 81kg - which is about 3kg heavier than I remember being over the past couple of years - so I assume this is muscle. This weight seems to be much more consistent regardless of my exercise, fasting and eating patterns.

My goal now is to push the strength through greater intensity but less time. I want to progress with some of my gymnastic endeavours - but have to me mindful of the risk of injury - especially given my other pursuits and desire to excel at those also!

All the while I need to fight my 'mainstream' tendancy to do too much and get bogged down in the detail and risk injury. Basic movements that hit muscle chains are all you need and, given variations in intensity and profile, will force adaption. It just takes time.

Further, faster, stronger, harder!

No comments: