Friday, 25 September 2009

Strength

The aim was four sets of the main sequence (2a-2f):

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (20 mins)
1a) 15s Sprint to Fig Eights (2x30s, one minute rest between each set)

2a) HSPU (3, 3, 2, 2)
2b) Alternative Leg Pistol (3, 3, 2, 2)
2c) Tuck Planche (4x5s)
2d) Tuck Lever (4x5s)
2e) Alternate One Arm Lock-Off to Lower (3, 3, 2, 2)
2f) Wall Walks (4x3)

All pistols were free and unassisted - which is a bit of progress. Reckon I could have done an extra one on the last set. The negative phase of the exercise was under good control as well.

The HSPUs felt a tad awkward and I was using my heels against the pillar for some assistance, but largely my arms were doing the work and feeling stronger.

This variety and intensity that I am using seems to be really giving me good gains. I intend (!), to post about why I chose to perform sets and reps the way I do - at some point in the future. It certainly beats three sets of ten for gains!

2 comments:

Calvin said...

Good blog--I check in from time-to-time and usually find it interesting. You're right on track with your exercise choices, workout randomness, and reps too. Athletic fitness = applied strength-to-weight ratio!

I see your hand stand wall pushups are coming along nicely--I think you're ready to do a week of overloading w/ HSPU's: e.g. lots of single reps spread throughout the day (increasing from say 10 on day 1, to 15, to 20 . . . up to 40 on day 7) with the focus on 5-8 seconds in the negative lowering--then take 5-6 days off of shoulder pressing--I think you'll be very pleased the next time you do your usual set/reps workout.

In health & fitness,

Calvin

Asclepius said...

Hi Calvin - thanks for your feedback.

I like your idea regarding HSPUs and am going take some time to think how I could introduce it in to my workout.

The randomness and variety is a big thing for me. On some levels I think some of the paleo crowd have swapped one 'false god' for another.

The paleo philosophy seems to be premised on functional fitness/strength with aesthetics/bodybuilding as a by-product of this strength development.

But the 'false god' I see is this focus to get ever stronger. Simply getting 'ever stronger' seems as dubious a focus as getting ever bigger.

The way I look at my 'paleo compass' is that I want to recreate some of the demanding physical environmental drivers that shaped us. This broadly means 'hitting' my body briefly and intensly using a variety of exercises along the basic planes of movement and as long as I have 'tried hard', then the load, as far as I am concerned, is appropriate.

Thus for me, hypertrophy and gains in strength are both 'by products' of my training and not goals in and of themselves.

That is not to say size and strength are unimportant. Hypertrophy (an important evolutionary clue to reproductive fitness), and greater strength are key measures that your training is progressing. But these are 'destination' factors, what matters for me is how I get there!

It's the journey!

Cheers,

PS Nice handstand on the parallels!