Thursday, 2 August 2012

Prehab/Rehab

I am a big fan of prehab.  It is easy to get seduced in to big, basic moves without consideration to the smaller muscles and wider plains of motion that dictate our range of movement.

Climbing in particular can lead to problems with the elbows and shoulders.  Bodybuilding programs that focus on the trophy muscles and strength-based routines that focus on trophy lifts can also suffer from a damaging level of specificity.

A robust exercise program should anticipate such problems.  Here is my link of prehab/rehab exercises with videos and articles:

Shoulder Prehabilitation:
  1. Internal Shoulder Rotations
  2. External Shoulder Rotations
 Forearm and Wrist Prehabilitation:

  1. Golfers Elbow Drumstick Rotation
  2. Wrist Push Ups 
  3. Reverse Wrist Curl
These are by no means the 'best' exercises or the ones you should do.  They are simply the ones that I need to do to achieve a balance in my training program.  There are certainly many other shoulder-focused exercises you can do but between planching and levers, I think I have these plains of motion covered.

No comments: