Sunday, 14 February 2010

Reps and Sets Random Thoughts

I see potential value in trying to use dramatically different rep ranges within a workout, not just between workouts.

I figured I should quickly draw up a list of what and where I wanted to improve. The thoughts behind all of this have been brewing for some time...

I have been GTGing with my finger tip pull ups and tuck planche in a bid to boost strength but want to see if I can implement a 5/3/1 type approach on specific exercises. I kind of do this anyway, but reckon I should follow the percentages mentioned in the link above.

The main exercises to use this approach would be:

  1. Pistols
  2. Lever
  3. Handstand/Press
  4. Muscle Ups
  5. Deadlift
I was looking at this a few weeks ago and have since come across this recommended loading from Jim Wendler:

Wave 1: 65%x5, 75%x5, 85%x5 or more
Wave 2: 70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x3 or more
Wave 3: 75%x5, 85%x3, 95%x1 or more
Wave 4: 40%x5, 50%x5, 60%x5

The percentages are such that you save your cookies for the last set - "the one that puts hair on your balls!" Problem is making such specific percentages translate to the planche and lever, or even to pistols, handstands and muscle ups. I could use time - I sure as hell am not about to add weights to my MUs. In fact time would appear to be all I can use ATM.

In addition there is the 5x5 program (kind of a 5/3/1 with stabilisers), where you can implement rests of three minutes for strength and 90 seconds or so if it is hypertrophy you desire. Areas where growth is of primary concern amongst blokes is the guns I guess - and that means chins! Chins give a lot of bang for the buck and if you cannot chin - and I mean PROPER chins (straight arm to sternum), you are a weak, misguided fool. Hmmmmm. Vanity is leading me astray. The 5x5 involves less messing around with percentages. You pick a load and go. Much easier.

Back to 5/3/1 - the trouble is also in translating these percentages to the campus board. The most obvious thing to do is to mark out 20 rungs and add weight. This means I can cut things to 5%. I am not strong enough to drop fingers but this would also be an option as would using smaller rungs or adding weight.

No comments: