Tuesday, 2 February 2010

5/3/1 Finger Strength

I have been looking for some time at the 5/3/1 workout and trying to figure out how I could incorporate it in to a finger training routine.

No program works forever (hence I utilise a huge variety of exercises and rep schemes in my workouts), but the basic approach seems to lend itself to the laddering work I do for finger strength.

The idea works on a four week cycle:
  • Week 1: 3 x 5
  • Week 2: 3 x 3
  • Week 3: 3 x 5, 3, 1
  • Week 4: deloading

You need to base the weights on 90% of your RM. So assuming the numbering down the left is the week, then the reps and percentages follow ('+' means to failure):

  1. 5x65%, 5x75% 5+x85%
  2. 3x70%, 3x80%, 3+90%
  3. 5x75%, 3x85%, 1+x95%
  4. 5x40%, 5x50% 5+x60%

After completion you add 5lbs (or in the laddering case, another step on the rung), to the RM and go again. T-Nation has an breakdown here.

It is a bit prescriptive for me. I like to simply use 'grrrr' rather than specific weights and measures. But as always, I like to look at other tools to get the job done. I will stick with the GTG and more instinctive approach for now but will look to implement this approach in to the mix in the future.

No comments: