Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Strength Workout

Today I start back cycling through the workouts listed with tags to the right. Beginning at 1 - a strength workout, I made a few adjustments, but it was essentially the same workout.

The aim was four sets of the main sequence (2a-2g):

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (25 mins)
1a) 15s Sprint to Fig Eights (2x30s, one minute rest between each set)

2a) HSPU (3, 3, 2, 2) - assisted on the third rep of the first two sets.
2b) Alternative Leg Pistol (3, 3, 2, 2) - assisted on the third rep of the first two sets.
2c) Tuck Planche (4x5s)
2d) Tuck Lever (4x5s)
2e) Alternate One Arm Lock-Off to Lower (3, 3, 2, 2)
2f) Backbridge (3x20s)

The big development is that I can do more sets of handstand pressups! Four sets of two unassisted is a personal record (IIRC). The same with the pistols - four sets of two unassisted pistols is a personal best.

I don't do HSPUs or Pistols that often, so I guess it is a cross training effect. The Tuck Planche also seems to be a PB - with four sets of 5s in a harder variation.

It was a fantastic day - blue skies all the way. Thus I finished the workout with a bit of handstand work and general sunning!

Overall, I seem to be making gains from variety and novelty. The workouts are all around 30 minutes once or twice a week. I am completely free of injury save for a niggle in my right knee (blogged about earlier), which is getting better by the week.

I still intend to move further from note-taking and measuring. I take more from my workout than a bunch of numbers. Sure, you need a handle on what you are doing. A successful hunt or a successful escape would have been feed back enough, and I want to concentrate on a similarly high level view of where I am physically.

Steady progress in the bodyweight exercises above, for me, ticks this box rather than getting bogged down in the minutae of lbs, shilling and pence.

3 comments:

Methuselah said...

nice work - I wondered what the numbers were for!

Asclepius said...

The numbers represent the reps/TUL - so four numbers equal four sets.

But usually, the I do one set of each exercise and then repeat that 'cycle'.

Sorry if it was unclear.

Seems to be working mind!

Methuselah said...

No - i wasn't unclear - what I meant was that I had been wondering what the numbers meant until you explained it in the post! But thanks for explaining it again...