Saturday, 9 March 2013

Neofantasy



My success with 'paleo' comes from simplicity.  I 'eat close to the ground' and train with a few simple exercises.  I could be classified under the paleo umbrella and am not shy of using the phrase but whether what I do is 'paleo' depends upon how you define paleo.  I certainly do some non-paleo stuff (not just in terms of diet).

What I wanted to do with this post is measure paleofantasy against neofantasy.  Diet coke epitomises neofantasy.  Do you really think that the people you see in this video are anything like the typical consumer of Diet Coke? Whilst we can appreciate 'Darwinian fitness' reaching a local maxima such that we are never optimally suited to a particular environment, we are now in a position where we are rapidly engineering discordance which is evidenced with words like 'mouth feel' and 'Bliss point'.  These are evolutionary triggers quantified and manipulated.

This  reminds me of a story told my Asimov which broadly goes thus:
  • "...when people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong.  But if you think a spherical-earth is just as wrong as a flat-earth, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
And there is the rub; I'd rather live the paleofantasy than the neofantasy of planet Coke.

No comments: