Tuesday, 26 June 2012

531 Wk1 W/O2

I've retooled my workout.  Things have got a bit off track due to lifestyle factors so I'm off back to the temple of Wendler.  I will still aim to drive the OAC - that is a single and ongoing objective,  but there are other numbers that need pushing.  The moves will be basic.

Despite earlier proclamations that I would drop down to two workouts a week, I enjoy my Sunday session on the rings, so will seek to make space for it, but keep it short.  The other workouts will feature less volume but with the same kind of intensity.

I am starting from a good place - uninjured - and still need to be mindful of the taxing nature of Lau Gar and the occasional climbing.  I will also try to cut back on the handstanding a bit, throwing the same number but over more days (ie less in any one session). 

The trouble with handstands is that I get too sucked in to messing around with them.   Once fatigued I then start handwalking.  Great fun - but perhaps detrimental in the bigger scheme of things!

Warm Up (5 minutes)
Main (35 minutes)
1. Handstand (air squats, front/side lunges, one legged floor touches, front/side/turning kicks)
2. Pistols (5x50, 5x57, 10/5+x65)
3. OACs (5x42, 5x49, 5+x55)

Forearm and Wrist Prehabilitation
4. Golfers Elbow Drumstick Rotation (12)
5. Wrist Push Ups (12)
6. Reverse Wrist Curl (12)


Only three handstands were thrown but I was really happy with them. Each was between 12 and 20s and I was able to adjust and correct. I took big rests in between each set (lunging and kicking as above) which will have helped to focus on quality.


I doubled the pistols but only just made the OAC work!  Think my RMs might be out a bit.  The rests were 1 min between warm-up sets and 2 mins between work sets.  I will allow up to 3 mins if things get tough and as little as 1 min rest between work sets if I want to focus hypertrophy.

Superb session. Gotta love Wendler's formula; spreadsheet it, and plug in your numbers. What falls before you is a beautiful workout (as long as you don't tamper with his exercise suggestions....too much).

No comments: