Thursday, 20 January 2011

Thursday P1 Strength

Today I peak on strength using a Wendler style program for deadlifts. The period now moves in to an intense phase using 75%, 85% and 95% of RM.  That last set of one rep is the money shot!  Big rests of up to four minutes will be interspersed with some chinning (just for volume and NOT to failure).

RM for DL is about 155kg - so I will see how much I can push that last rep!  I will decide at the time whether I go for it.
Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (40 mins)
1. Deadlift + Chins (5x98, 3x119, 1+x133) + (8, 8, 8)
2. Wall Walk : BackBridge + L-sits (4, 4, 4)
3. HSPU (1 + 4 HS lowers, 8x14kg, 6x16kg)
4. Ice Cream Makers (6, 5, 4)
5. Four-Way Rotator Cuff (10, 10, 10)

The DL was savage.  I aimed for a repeat of my RM (155kg), but we used a different bar which we weighted afterwards - and was 5kg heavier than we thought.  This pushed my last rep to a new RM of 160kg!  Sadly I don't feel I fully locked my legs and hips so won't claim it.  I also think my back lost posture.  But the point is, it came up and I am not too far off owning 160kg.  Just got to make sure I own the technique before I won the weight.

My weight is 83kg (probably from my policy of one BIG meal every day Mon - Wednesday).  The weight loss is fat (I think/hope).  No problems with hunger.  I am closer to my goal of a double BW deadlift.

The other good news is that I did a HSPU!  God knows why this decided to make an appearence.  I lost them for a while there!

I am still not happy with my routine.  I need to do more OAC work.  I shouldn't get too ahead of myself as I did pick up an injury a while back - so my current lack of focus on OACs gives me chance to recover.  I am still trying to get in some volume of deliberate and controlled chinning over my full ROM.

Downside was the fact that this workout was over 40 minutes.  Too long.  I was losing focus on the rotator cuff work.  I don't do RCW for anything other than as a preventative measure, so no biggie.

I was scheduled to deload next week and then go on a more hypertrophy focussed phase - with another workout aimed at depletion.  Still not sure about this.  Will suck it and see.  I'd love to do another strength phase and OWN 160kg.

Enjoyed today.

2 comments:

Marc said...

A,

quick shout out to you after your marvelous comment on chris's site.
www.feelgoodeating.com

Hope all is well.
Cheers,

Marc

Asclepius said...

Hi Marc - thanks and right back at ya!

I do more loitering than commenting (and blogging) these days.....but hope to change that soon.

ATB,