Monday, 4 July 2011

Quick Climbing Workout

I am still in the thick of it, so am having to squeeze workouts in here and there.  I am trying to 'apply' physicality rather than train to improve it - so I have had a few climbing sessions and plenty of 'paly' with the kids.

The lack of 'formal' workouts has been something quite beneficial.  I tried some handstands yesterday and did a couple of solid ones for 20 seconds.  Very happy.  Today I did some MUs and a fingerboard routine.  Whilst my fingers were seemingly weaker, the 3x3 MUs I did prior to each ring routine where easy.  reckon I could have gone for 3x5 or 5x3.  Shoulders feel good and strong.

Just as 'optimal nutrition' is a moving target, so is optimal exercise.  I like to keep my body guessing, keep it simple, but add in novelty based on mostly functional exercises (why curl when you can chin?).  I am mindful of overuse injuries (particularly with elbows and shoulders), but also a need to be specific enough to get an improvement on that exercise.  I have some ideas I will be implementing around this....once my life settles down a bit in a couple of weeks' time!

No comments: