Monday, 12 October 2009

Climbing (Hunt) Workout

This Monday workout is climbing specific - but seems to be mutating. I am not yet in a position to assess how my finger strength is coming on in real terms, but broad strength seems to be improving - particularly with the muscle ups.

I have decided to vary the exercises quite a bit and put the hunt back in to my training. Each 'group' should take around five minutes (apart from the Kill Carry which adds five minutes on its own):

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (25* mins)

1a) Sprint (The Chase - 15s)
1b) Ring Splits (5)
1c) Five L-Sit Muscle Ups to Basic Ring Routine to Lever
1d) Laddering (Medium)

2a) Pistols (three per leg - The Fight)
2b) Ring Splits (5)
2c) Four L-Sit Muscle Ups to Basic Ring Routine to Lever
2d) Laddering (Medium)

3a) Kill Carry* (5 minutes of walking with a shouldered punch bag - 35kg)
3b) Ring Cuts (5 per leg)
3c) Two laps of L-Sit Rope Climbing
3d) Laddering (Hard)

I finished of with some intense one and two armed deadhanging for around 5-10 minutes (until technique faltered). I am liking the variation and letting instinct lead me more in each workout.

Note to self; I need to make sure I give more and not let the session extend much more towards 30 minutes.

The kill carry felt like a bit of a rest, and heading back to the garage for that last set I was heavily 'stoked' to pull hard!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Jol E. Roger
I've just started following your blog and I love it! Can you post a link to the movements themselves. I am not that familiar with the terminology (ring splits, l-sit muscle ups etc).
RESPECT!

Asclepius said...

Thanks for the kind words.

Read my disclaimer! Choose your guru with care. We are all false prophets! Listen to your own instincts.

Less is more (more or less), and only when it is brief and intense.

Ring splits - lower your gymnastic rings until they are a few inches off the ground. Step your FEET in to the rings, whilst holding on to the straps above. Now slowly lower in to the splits, hold, then draw yourself back upwards. Try NOT to use your hands - let your legs do as much of the work as possible. I repeat, try to let your legs do as much of the work as possible.

Ring Cuts are the same as above, but thread your toes through one ring and your heel in the other. Remember to do this facing the other way as well.

L-Sit MUs - a muscle up but at the top of the movement lift your legs out horizontally in front of you and hold them there for a few seconds. For a harder variation, start the MU with your legs held out in front (but beware of the pressure these L-Sit movements can place on the lower spine).

Gymnastic Bodies and Pay Now, Live Later have some videos of the exercises I use - but I have no plans to make my own....yet!

HTH - let me know if there are any other questions and I will see what I can do!

Asclepius said...

From 0:17-0:22 you can see an MU in to an L-Sit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8KMnWUsvg

This is perhaps the coolest MU you will EVER see!

;)