Monday, 20 April 2009

Strength Workout

Spring has sprung! Today there was barely a cloud in the sky and having had three weeks rest from all gym work (one of which was a rest from anything involving any kind of formal exercise apart from running around the park with my kids), I was raring to go.

I should add that the rest was assisted by a fair bit of chocolate that I am still trying to get through, and a few non-paleo foodstuffs like bread and potato (which I will not avoid for the foreseeable future).

Warm Up (5 mins)
Main (30 mins)
1a) Sprint (2x15s, one minute rest between each set)

2a) Assisted Pistol (Left Leg 4x3)
2b) HSPU (4x2)
2c) Assisted Pistol (Right Leg 4x3)
2d) Alternate One Arm Lock-Off to Lower (4x3)

3a) Tuck Planche (4x5s)
3b) Tuck Lever (4x5s)
3c) Back Bridge (3x15s)
3d) Splits (3x30s)
3e) Alternate Leg Cuts (3x30s per leg)

As always, after a rest, I get back in to my workouts with a quick sprint or two. For me there is no better way to announce to my body that we are back in business!

The main aim of this session was to perform 4-5 sets of 2-3 reps with about 3-4 minutes of rest in between (hence the circuit training format of sequential exercises). The RM was I guess about 75%. The big news is that I can manage two Hand Stand Press Ups (against a wall). I am not sure how I have arrived at this ability having never having got close before - but the rest period must have driven the breakthrough! Next goal is a free standing HSPU.

My top tip here is that if you have not had a rest from your resistance routine for a while (say 4-8 weeks), your biggest gains might come from kicking back a bit. I am going to try resting before I feel I need it, and resting longer than I want to.

No comments: