Friday, 26 December 2008

Bettystown Swim

So today I did my annual 'Bettystown Swim'. Bettystown is just north of Dublin and home to probably the shallowest sea ever!

The beach was busy with walkers (all wrapped up), taking in a 'constitutional' after 24 hours of excess. It was VERY cold getting out of the car. I walked as close to the sea as I could and then stripped off to my shorts (no wet suit,naturally!).

I then began sprinting in to the sea. And I kept sprinting. After 100m my knees were barely in the sea so I had to keep going. Eventually it became waist deep and so I went for a dive under.

I could eventually feel a numbness setting in to my feet after a few minutes, but really, I was surprised at how 'OK' it felt. After two years of cold showers I think my body has adapted well to working in the cold. A few minutes was enough - and out I came.

Whilst on the beach Captain Kid was scared of crabs and sand worm tracks. Flash was amused be her Dad's behaviour as much as the surf - but we all returned to the warmth of the car with colour in our cheeks and feeling better for the fresh air.

I am looking forwards to next year.

2 comments:

Methuselah - Pay Now Live Later said...

Bravo - I did nothing today except sit around regretting my excesses. A good hill run or cold swim would have been much more rewarding. I plan to take a leaf out of your book and do more cold swimming this year. I managed a swim in the Lake District in November but it's really not in the same league as your effort today.

Asclepius said...

Today's efforts were all on the back end of a fast - but there are still some Quality Street left along with other Xmas temptations.

This evening a friend from Dublin got in touch to say that he had swam in the sea on Christmas Day and suggested we both go for another dip around new year.

As with all Paleo play - the very idea fires me up and puts a smile on my face.

In the face of my carb excess this is small fry, but it does feel good!