Thursday, 25 April 2013

Lean on the Inside

The diagnosis of me being 'hypertensive' has led to a few tests.  To reiterate, this was a chance finding whilst using a friend's sphygmomanometer. The latest test was a kidney scan.

To cut a short and dull story much shorter, after the scan (rather like the 'first scan' that expectant mothers get in the UK), the doctor turned to me and said,
  • "That was the best scan I have ever done.  That was by far the clearest and easiest scan - almost as if you were transparent. It was the clearest image of any kidney - certainly any native kidneys - that I have ever had.  I wish all scans were as easy as this.  Sometimes we have to call people back for a second scan or use other methods but yours were easily visible.  Your kidneys look absolutely fine."
He just kept on talking about how amazed he was with the scan and it was hard getting a word in!  My take-home message was that I was obviously lean on the inside - low visceral fat.  Yowzers.

Seizing on his talk of 'native kidneys' I mentioned an article I'd read about a doctor in Middle East saying when allied soldiers come in to casualty their organs are often obstructed by layers of fat.  This was in sharp contrast to civilians upon how surgery was much easier due to their leaness.

The interesting thing is that I maintain this leaness year round.  There is no counting of calories and the occasional eating of modest amounts of 'processed shit' and a glass of wine once a week or so.

Currently I am not lifting weights and my appetite has down-regulated accordingly.  I am lighter and feel I have lost some muscle mass.  But I also feel and look leaner with a narrower waist - almost like I've been on a cut.

I'm still following a 'paleo model' diet; a lunch of tinned fish (and I've now added in a big-ass salad with lots of beetroot, celery, radishes, avocado, spinach, tomatoes and eggs - all topped off with apple cider vinager), and a tea of quality meat on one half of the plate, lots of veggies on the other side.  Add potatoes on a training day.  Nuts and fruit conclude each meal.

I am all but off coffee (for purposes of sleep).  I've had some excellent BP reading of late and am hoping that my new low-stress lifestyle (breathing exercises, swimming, early to bed, isometric grip training and lots of meditation), are having the desired effect.  I will post up some details when I have time as I know a lot of other folk (young and old), have elevated blood pressure for which there is no obvious cause.

No comments: